How to Find the Right Stay at Home Mom Side Gig
Stay-at-home moms juggle a million things. It can be challenging to be a multi-tasking mom and also carve out some professional “me time,” in a day to continue to develop as business women and earn some extra income too.
Side gigs are growing in popularity with moms, largely because of their availability and schedule flexibility. While driving, childcare and dog sitting are popular side hustles, other gig economy opportunities may offer moms better hourly income and the opportunity to flex, or further develop, their business and entrepreneurial muscle.
If you’re a SAHM evaluating potential side gigs, here are a few here are a few considerations.
1. Reasonable Compensation – Time is money. Some stay-at-home gigs advertise high earning potentials, but don’t provide details on the amount of work and time required to reach these levels. When researching a possible gig, make sure to look for data about the average hourly compensation.
2. Flexible Schedule – Mom life is unpredictable. The side-gig you choose should work around your schedule and not require you to be available at times when you are usually busy. The best gigs provide freedom to maneuver.
3. Impact and Fulfillment – Ultimately, your side gig should make your heart feel good. If you want to make people happy, there’s a gig for that. If you want to express your creativity, there’s a gig for that too! Find a gig that speaks to you. This makes it a lot easier to show up for work.
4. Supportive Community – A great gig comes with a strong community that elevates its members and provides a support network where they can ask questions, discuss, share, and celebrate.
5. Longevity and Room to Grow – Great side gigs allow you to grow and expand, as a human and as a businessperson. Look for gigs that help you acquire additional skills, socialize with new people and require at least occasional creative or analytical thinking. Make sure your side gig is more than a one-time deal. Ideally look for an opportunity that can grow with you and your family.